Japanese Mahjong Game - 5F (Now closed) Nov 23, 2018 19:36:32 GMT -8 LKGMediaProductions and Vanessa Martinez like this
Post by cyberk9 on Nov 23, 2018 19:36:32 GMT -8
EDIT 3: Closed now. Thanks all! Going to review the submissions now...
EDIT 2: I'm going to keep submissions open for another week, for SOFIA only. (I didn't receive enough submissions for her and I think it could use a bigger pool).
EDIT: Thanks for all the submissions! I'll be going through them all over the next week. It'll be a tough choice, but I really appreciate the interest in my project!
I'm looking to add some more characters to my game, Kemono Mahjong - an implementation of Japanese Mahjong - the traditional, 4-player game, not the tile-matching game. You play against computer opponents, each with their own look and personality. www.kemonomahjong.com
For the game, every character will need samples for: "pung", "kong", "chow", "riichi", "ron", "tsumo" (and "pon", "kan", "chi" - I've added an option that let's players use the Japanese terms instead of the Western-ized versions of those calls).
These are the terms said when claiming a set, declaring 'riichi', or winning. Some of these may be a little over the top, but - here's some clips from "Akagi" and "Saki", some anime focusing on mahjong:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDaxwpWPHQ ("Pon", "Kan", "Chi")
After a hand, a short line of text is chosen for character(s) to say, which is where slightly longer lines are needed (like... 3-6 words each... stuff like "Congratulations!", "That was a close one!", etc.). About 12-15 lines for each character. There's also a few "idle" lines that might be played if the player hasn't done a move in a while (like "Hurry up!", "What're you up to?", etc.).
Here's samples of what the first set of characters sound like: www.youtube.com/watch?v=riyy2s83uEE
And here's samples of the second set of characters: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SDuZ1ZFCwY
Obviously I'd want the new characters to "fit in" with them.
The five new characters are to try to make up for a lack of female representation up until now. Here they are, along with some sample lines that I think would reflect their personality, and some ideas as to what I'm thinking for each. The artwork is still in development, but some sketches of them are here too:
• A friendly, idealistic young woman from England. Politically active.
• (happy) "Ace!", "Brilliant!"
• (loss) "Cheeky!", "Absolutely gutting...", "Oh, man..."
• (misc) "Tea, anyone?", "I really could use a cuppa...".
• Thinking a younger teen sound, British accent. Think "Doctor Who companion".
• University maths professor from Santiago, Chile.
• (happy) "There we go.", "Good."
• (loss) "That's going to hurt.", "What are the odds... well, let me calculate them..."
• (misc) "Is it my turn...?", "Huh...? Sorry, was a bit lost in thought..."
• Quiet, measured voice. Bit of a Chilean accent. Prone to go off on a tangent.
• Software developer in Seattle. A bit shy, feels better meeting people over games.
• (happy) "Oh, I got it!", "Yay!" (Quietly, like she can't believe it herself)
• (loss) "Wow, look at that..."; "Oh... oh no..."
• (misc) "So, how about that local sports team?", *nervous laughter*
• I'm looking for a kinda "nervous energy".
• Airline pilot from Barcelona, Spain. Learned mahjong during many trips to Japan.
• (happy) "Si!", "Perfecto!"
• (loss) "Nononono...!", "I flew right into that one..."
• (misc) "Ready?", "Time for a siesta maybe..."
• She's confident, playful. Spanish accent.
KATYA (snow leopard)
• Museum creator from Omsk, Russia.
• (happy) "Purrrrrrfect.", "Divine!"
• (loss) "Could have been worse...", "I see..."
• (misc) "Take your time", "Not much of a cat person?"
• Rather guarded and secretive.
• I'm thinking there may be a bit of a channeling of Catwoman with some of the lines' delivery.
• Russian edge to the voice.
Compensation: $25/character (for the 8 common one-word samples + 16-20 short lines)
Recording and sending Instructions:
- 44.1hz mono MP3
- All samples for one character in one file.
- Sample lines followed by some pung/kong/chow/etc. samples would be ideal.
- Please label [name]_[character].mp3
- 2-3 takes please;
- okay if you want to offer different versions
Email for auditions & questions: email@example.com
I'm also on Twitter as @kemonomahjong for quick/small questions.